An Ode to an Unknown Soldier-Happy Diwali



I return to the comforts of my bed, sleep beckons me thick and fast.
My little one next to me cuddled in the warmth of my arms safe and sound
Lights off, eyelids shut, dreams to recall, rest for an aching body beckons
He sleeps not, gun in his arms, duty in his eyes, countries safety in his heart.
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you

My child calls out to me, I respond, I hug him tight with care so much.
The soldiers child looks out in the wilderness, Will he, Will He not This Diwali
Maybe not, there is still work to be done, guard the nation, crush the terror.
He has emotions, hides them shut, nothing in his mind other than the tricolor
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you

The neighbor's son, has got a new job, His fathers face lights up with pride
The Soldiers father waits anxiously, If he comes there is happiness,
If He comes not there is no tear to be shed, valor lies in smiling away his life
His was a cause not wasted, His was a life so fulfilled. So much to Cherish
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you

I complained about not having got the right fabric this festival
His fabric is stained with blood, drops of which so shed will not go in vain.
Sweets Distributed, Lights Decorated, Greetings Rent the Air
Firing Exchanged, Bullets strewn all over, nothing but the smell of blood and flesh
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you

There is a death in the family, a life departed to be mourned, tears to be shed
He hears the news, no time to grieve and mourn, Duty comes before self.
He is newly wed, a bride with whom he exchanged vows to be together for a lifetime.
Much Before He is wedded to the nation whose soil he vowed to protect.
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you.

Beyond all Heat and Pain, All Rain and Shine, All Cold and Snow
He goes beyond them all, trained to be battle fit, Yes Sir is all that he knows
I scream in pain for as much a small cut finger,
For Him Giving up His Life Itself is like changing his dress, Sacrifice So Supreme.
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you.

Come Home Dear Soldier, once Terror is vanquished, borders protected
That will be the Day we light up every street, nook and corner
Your Sacrifices can never be forgotten, the blood you shed can never be repaid
Thank You seems so small and artificial, for all the nights you remained awake.
Oh Soldier, My Soldier, A Million Hearts beat for you.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter from a DieHard Fan of BigB to Shoojit Sircar

Mango Diaries-Page Four-Times of Covid and a Tribute to Unknown Soldiers

Durga Puja-Part 1