Ten Things an Umpire Must Know



Hot day in Chennai, was a Saturday to be precise. I and my kids were headed to our favorite jaunt, Gen-next Cricket Institute. I was headed to the spectators gallery when it struck me, why not volunteer to be an umpire for the match. It was one thing that I had always wanted to experience for a very long time and perhaps this was the best possible opportunity available to me. So I decided to approach Coach Arvind with a request: "Coach Allow me stand in as an Umpire". Coach Arvind said "Why not, the stage is all yours. Please Do the honors."

So I found walking out to the center along with my partner in crime, my fellow square-leg umpire. I must admit that I was as nervous as the debutant making his first appearance for the national squad. The adrenaline was for sure building up as the young man turned to mark his bowling run up, "Right Arm Over Sir", he told me. The batsman asked for his leg stump guard, I nodded in affirmation and the game was good to start. "Batsman Ready?" I asked as I imagined myself to be in the hallowed Eden Gardens, watched by Fifty Thousand Spectators. "Bowler Ready?" was the next question, a few more seconds elapsed before I said "Lets Play". From then on till the seventeen odd overs that I stood in as an Umpire, it was a great learning Experience that I wanted to share with everyone:

1. I Pledge to be Impartial
This is the number one golden rule to Umpiring. You have to be as spotless as a whistle. If you have to do full justice you need to be seen as someone who is impartial without being seen as supporting any single payer or team

2. I have complete knowledge of the game:
I need to be aware of what the rules and regulations of the game are and I need to stand by them. An umpire is just like a judge who knows the rule book and gives his judgement in accordance. Remember that you are in public glare where you are being noticed each moment not only by ones in the playing arena but also by a televised audience. Your ignorance can cost you valuable rankings as an umpire but also your appearance as an umpire in future matches.

3. Always be Alert:
An umpire can ill afford to switch off. A batsman or a bowler can have that luxury but, for an umpire its always being in the game, alert to whats happening around him, whether its listening to the faintest of nicks or judging a person out LBW, whether its taking a close call on a run out or diffusing a heated moment of gamesmanship. I would love to call this Constant Integrated Awareness.

4. Be Like a Monk
Once you enter a Cricket Field you need to be like a Monk, unaffected by all that is around you, You need to be in the moment and go with the flow, rapt attention. you need to be in that meditative state where correct decision making is your only objective

5. Integrity as Solid as a Rock:
Remember that your decisions could actually make or break careers, your decision making needs to be spot on and not be swayed by any means of acts of omission or fraudulent methods. Your integrity should never be questioned by anyone.

6. Eyesight/Hearing Skills:
Remember that from the time the bowler starts his run up, the batsman strikes, the fielder fields and throws in the ball, each one is a moment of truth. You eye has to be on that popping crease, whether the bowler is overstepping or is in line, your ears need to catch those faintest of nicks, your eyes on the fielder again as he throws in the ball at the stump, whether the batsman makes it to the crease or not, your eyes on the fielder whether he makes a clean catch or has he grounded while taking it. There are other instances as well while making an LBW decision,whether the ball is in line with the stumps, whether there was a nick before the ball hits the batsman's pads, all again moments of truth that only your eyes can see or your ears can hear.

7. You are not a Statue 
Cricket is a passionate game with each player representing his club/state/Country. There can be moments of gamesmanship or sledging. At critical moments an umpire has to be step in to calm down proceedings. An Umpire in such moments can never really be a mute spectator. An Umpire cannot be a Statue. He has to be a calming influence as far as the game is concerned.

8. Bring in Humour
The proceedings on a cricket field can get very serious, especially when the passions and stakes both run very high, at that time Humor can play a very critical role. There have been exemplary umpire in the past who have played this role to a perfection, Billy Bowden and Dicky Bird are cases in point.

9. Control The Game
An Umpire has to control the game, he is the one who ensures that the game is being played in all fairness. Once you enter a Cricket field remember that as an Umpire you are under as much pressure as a Fielder or a Batsman, in fact more, as sometimes appealing can be quite aggressive. An Umpire has to have the ability to soak in all the pressure imposed on him, yet make the correct decisions. An Umpire needs to control the game to the best of abilities and not the players.

10. An Umpire needs to show Patience and Maturity
Cricket is a long game and only an Umpire with loads of Patience and Maturity has the ability to make correct decisions. The ability lies not in coming to a result at any cost in the shortest possible time but in allowing fair decisions that lead to a conclusion where the better team has emerged victorious by displaying better performance.

Overall a very satisfying experience for me as an umpire. I must thank Gen-next Cricket Institute to allow me to Lord over a very well behaved group of Young kids promising to promote themselves to the next levels of Cricket. I only hope for more such kinds of moments of truth being bestowed upon me in the days to come.

Till Then Bye and and have a wonderful week

Regards

TallBoyKarthik


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mango Diaries-Page Four-Times of Covid and a Tribute to Unknown Soldiers

A Letter from a DieHard Fan of BigB to Shoojit Sircar

Durga Puja-Part 1